How to make pizza using puff pastry

Ham and Mushroom Pizza and Tomato Tart

by Cybele

This post is brought to you by IGA

Friday afternoons used to be my favourite time of the week, now I wouldn’t be surprised if someone starting hurling fire and brimstone around.
Mr 4YO loves preschool, but it leaves him shattered and by Friday afternoon he’s lost his marbles. My charming young friend is replaced with a wailing banshee. This sets the littlest guy off and together they join the Banshee Band, banging out all their greatest wailing hits, week after week.
This is not the time for cooking things from scratch. In terms of dinner, it’s a matter of putting Mr 4YO’s favourite things on a plate and packing him off to bed as soon as possible. Ham and mushroom pizza is an all time favourite and so is pastry. Together they remove the pizza crust roadblock, because the pastry crust is something Mr 4YO savours and getting him to put the topping on his pizza is a marvellous diversion. The tomato tart is for my sanity.
So when I heard our lovely sponsors, IGA, were running an Easter Creative Kitchen competition to make a recipe using ham, mushrooms, puff pastry, butter or condensed milk our choice was easy. Okay, so you only have to use one of the five ingredients, but I do love a challenge…
 How to make pizza using puff pastryThe recipe is technically a French tart, but we call it pizza in times of need. Our wonderful French friend, Typhaine, inspired us when she wrote down her mother’s Tomato Tart recipe for us. As you can see it has been well loved.How to make pizza using puff pastry
You can follow the recipes below or do what we often do and take this concept and run with it all the way to the fridge to use up some leftover vegetables, like capsicum, cooked pumpkin, spinach or anything pizza or tart-friendly. I used basil and the last of the tomatoes from the garden, so they’re smaller than the ones I’d normally use.

Ingredients:How to make pizza using puff pastry

Ingredients for a ham and mushroom ‘pizza’ and a tomato tart:

200g or 3 medium tomatoes, heirlooms are perfect for this
200g or one big knot of mozzarella, sliced as fine as possible
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
½ bunch fresh basil leaves, torn
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Knob of butter
200g mushrooms or 2 big handfuls, thickly sliced
1 big garlic clove, finely diced
100g sliced ham, coarsely chopped
Baking paper
2 pizza or baking trays

To prepare the ham and mushroom ‘pizza’

Preheat oven 170° C, put pizza or baking tray in the oven and pull pastry out of the freezer
1. Over a medium-high heat, melt a knob of butter in pan. When it starts to sizzle throw in mushrooms and toss in garlic. Stir until everything is coated and drizzle with a little olive oil. Allow to sizzle away for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and season with salt and pepper when they’re done.How to make pizza using puff pastry
2. Place sheet of pastry on baking paper. Using a pastry brush, coat the pastry with olive oil, layer on the mozzarella slices, mushrooms and ham.Pizza-brush
3. This next bit is a bit fiddly and requires a lot of oven mitt action, especially for clumsy people like me. Take the hot baking tray out of the oven and place (on a tea towel or trivet) next to the pizza to be. Hold on to the edges of the baking paper and slide onto tray.How to make pizza using puff pastry
4. Place in the oven for 20 minutes, ideally turning around about ten minutes in. Take out and slice when the edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with basil (Mr 4YO always takes it off anyway).
Note: you can skip step 1 and use uncooked sliced mushrooms on the pizza, I consider this a sanity dependent step!How to make pizza using puff pastry

To prepare the tomato, mozzarella and basil tart

Preheat oven 170 C, heat pizza or baking trays in the oven and pull pastry sheets out of the freezer
1. Place sheet of pastry on baking paper. Using a pastry brush, coat the sheet of pastry with olive oil, layer on the mozzarella slices and tomato.How to make pizza using puff pastry
2. This next step needs to be done carefully. Take the hot baking tray out of the oven and place (on a tea towel or trivet) next to the pizza to be. Hold on to the edges of the baking paper and slide onto tray.How to make pizza using puff pastry
3. Place in the oven for 20 minutes, ideally turning around about ten minutes in. Take out and slice when the edges are golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with basil. Slice and forget about the Banshees for a moment while you sink your teeth into the crispy, tomatoey goodness.How to make pizza using puff pastry
Enjoy!
Bell x
How do you make it through ‘those’ times?

Linking up with the gorgeous grace for FYBF

Like the post? Click a button to share the love...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

About the Author

Blah Blah Magazine

Cybele Masterman (Bele) trained as a beauty therapist, aromatherapist and journalist. After working as all of the above has found herself on a quest for a beautiful and meaningful life that doesn't cost the earth. Follow on google: +blahblahmagazine twitter: @blahblahzine or Instagram: BlahBlahMagazine

28 Comments on "Ham and Mushroom Pizza and Tomato Tart, the happy meal for the toughest times of the week"

1. Emily 01/04/2014 at 6:19 pm · Reply

Yum! My mum does a similar thing with tomato and mustard. It’s delicious.

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 02/04/2014 at 5:44 pm · Reply

It’s a bit hard to see, but Typhaine’s recipe is tomato and mustard too. Is your mum French?

2. Typhaine 02/04/2014 at 5:08 pm · Reply

Miam´ miam´ miam´ !!!
    This sounds so tasty and it’s so simple to make, I’ll try it for sure :)
    And so lovely, you kept the recipes!!!
    Xx

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 02/04/2014 at 5:46 pm · Reply

Your recipes are still some of our favourites. The chocolate fondant is soooooo good x

3. Naomi Moan
    Naomi 02/04/2014 at 9:13 pm · Reply

Umm yum and also good for when I get home from work for something quick, crunchy and tasty. Thanks!

4. Sonia Life Love Hiccups 02/04/2014 at 9:54 pm · Reply

I am totally drooling all over my keyboard right now – that tomato and mozzarella tart looks divine!!! xx
    Sonia Life Love Hiccups recently posted…Win A Family Pass To The Sydney Royal Easter Show Thanks To MILOMy Profile

5. Annaleis 04/04/2014 at 2:38 pm · Reply

gorgeous comfort food there. Love the sound of that tomato tart.

Friday afternoons are a bit of a waste around here too!
    Annaleis recently posted…Rainbow Unicorn Birthday CakeMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 09/04/2014 at 8:17 am · Reply

It’s funny I didn’t realise the Friday flats were such a common curse! Now I think about it makes sense x

6. Becc 04/04/2014 at 3:07 pm · Reply

Yum, yum and more yum.
    I will be trying this very soon. I think Mr4 will be very pleased indeed :)
    Becc recently posted…Are You Meeting the Trifecta of Healthy Living?My Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 09/04/2014 at 8:19 am · Reply

I’d love to hear how you go. One lovely reader sent me pics of the 8 she made. She was laughing about how different kids are because her kids picked all the mushrooms off x

7. sevenyearsinglemummy 04/04/2014 at 7:38 pm · Reply

Looks fantastic..exactly what I was looking for.. Having friends over tomorrow night so will prepare this for a pre dinner snack..thanks for sharing x
    sevenyearsinglemummy recently posted…DVMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 09/04/2014 at 8:20 am · Reply

It makes great party food. For pretty grown up food I cut the puff pastry down the middle to make thin strip tarts they look cute x

8. Psych Babbler 04/04/2014 at 11:07 pm · Reply

This looks super-easy to make…might help me on cranky evenings when I come home starving and find that everything else is going to take too long to cook!
    Psych Babbler recently posted…D is for Dive In #atozchallengeMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 09/04/2014 at 8:23 am · Reply

Yes, they’re good for empty pantry dilemmas and for using up the last little bits of things like olives, antipasto bits, lonely vegetables x

9. Sam Stone @ A Life on Venus 05/04/2014 at 7:18 pm · Reply

OMG Cybele, this look amazing!! I am going to try them next week for lunch :)
    Sam Stone @ A Life on Venus recently posted…Sit up straight!My Profile

10. Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me 06/04/2014 at 3:37 pm · Reply

Vodka, that is how I make it through Fridays…. but this does look delish – too much effort for me on the last day of the week, but I’ll keep in mind when I want to impress!

• Gordon Eckel
      Gordon aka Gonzo 08/04/2014 at 8:41 pm · Reply

I’m with you Emily! Vodka, Scotch…the basics that always deliver!
      Gordon aka Gonzo recently posted…DIY beauty station tutorialMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
        Blah Blah Magazine 09/04/2014 at 8:26 am · Reply

Something tells me you two will get on very well at the Kidspot Voices launch! If only I didn’t suffer such feral hangovers, woe is me!

11. Grace 06/04/2014 at 3:54 pm · Reply

The twinions are totally baked by Friday! It’s hard to say what gets me through “those” times because each wailing banshee session seems to be different.
    But this. This recipe. Oh my. Can’t wait to get my French on and try it!
    Grace recently posted…FYBF – The “For Every” EditionMy Profile

12. Jo McCay
    Jo 16/04/2014 at 8:34 pm · Reply

This looks delicious! I will have to add it to our Friday menu list- looks like it will match well with our usual rotations of cheap wine, preschooler inflicted wounds upon our ear drums, and a very early night x

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 16/04/2014 at 8:54 pm · Reply

The big question is 6pm too early go to bed? I’m asking on behalf of a friend ;)

13. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile 26/04/2014 at 5:28 pm · Reply

Oooh this sounds lovely! I’ll have to add it to my weeks meals I think! Thanks :-)
    Lucy @ Bake Play Smile recently posted…Donna Hay’s Zucchini & Sweet Potato LoafMy Profile

14. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile 11/05/2014 at 4:30 pm · Reply

Oh my!! This is my kinda food!! Can’t wait to try it out this week! xx
    Lucy @ Bake Play Smile recently posted…Cookies, Cookies and More Cookies!!My Profile