How to have beach hair everyday, a salt hair spray tutorial

How to make sea salt spray | Blah Blah Magazine

Do you ever look at your life and feel shocked that you’re all grown up? I do all the time. Last week, we had loan of a friend’s dog, and I looked around and found myself married with two and a half kids. Wow, how did that happen?

But, but, I don’t wash my hair as often as I should, even though I love my homemade shampoo. And, and, I still laugh at poo jokes, dance like a chicken and pretty much always have messy hair. Grown ups have tidy hair, in my world view.

So I was pottering around on the Internet, searching for ways to justify my behaviour and was relieved to discover that I can carry on my merry crazy hair way. The lovely Christina from Hair Romance  had the solution – Sea salt spray. This sexy solution is like a bottle of ‘look at me and my intentionally tousled look’,  so I had to try it.How to make sea salt spray| Blah Blah Magazine

BOOM! It worked, but not how I expected. For people with luscious, thick locks it does the tousled thing. For me and my super, super, super fine hair, it makes me look like I have hair and I couldn’t be happier! I have hair! [insert dancing a jig] The salt hair spray thickens it and hides the dirt (now, I can go even longer without washing my hair…)

DOUBLE BOOM!

Salt Hair Spray, I love you!How to make sea salt spray| Blah Blah Magazine

I had a little sneak peek at the sea salt sprays being recommended around the traps to see what they were made of. A lot of the hot-to-trots contain magnesium sulfate, woohoo! My beloved Epsom Salts. Best. News. Ever.

The rest just rolled from there. Jojoba is one of the best hair ‘oils’ (it’s exy, so feel free to replace it with macadamia or coconut oil). The oil and aloe vera are there to counteract the salt. Rosemary essential oil is just the ducks guts (that’s a good thing) for rebalancing scalps.

The green tea and zinc are optional, but I live in Australia and think it’s a good idea to sneak in potential sun protectors* at any opportunity. Besides, the sun does nasty things to hair too. Zinc oxide powder sounds scary, but it’s similar to the stuff people take as a nutritional supplement and can be bought at online aromatherapy suppliers.

Salt hair spray ingredientsHow to make sea salt spray| Blah Blah Magazine

1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon or tea bag of green tea (optional)
2 tablespoons Epsom salts (or sea salt makes a stronger styling hold)
¼ teaspoon zinc oxide powder (optional)
1 teaspoon aloe vera**
½ teaspoon jojoba, macadamia or coconut oil

To make salt hair spray

1. Steep the green tea in the boiling water for five minutes, strain and pour into sterile spray bottle.
2. Add salt and zinc and shake for three minutes or until the salt crystals have dissolved.
3. Stir in all the other ingredients.
4. Label with ingredients and date.

Don’t leave this baby on the shelf too long. The salt is a preservative and the reason why it doesn’t need to be in fridge, however I would use it in six weeks or lose it. As always avoid putting your fingers in it and keep the lid on. Or keep it in the fridge if you want to make a bigger batch. Oh, and don’t spray it near your mouth or eyes or in your ears, I’m just saying…

How to use salt hair spray

Test on a discrete spot for irritation. Once you’re good to go, the spray can be used on wet or dry hair. I sprayed underneath (but not the roots) to the hair to give volume.How to make sea salt spray| Blah Blah Magazine

Sprayed the middle and ends of the hair (but not the roots) and scrunched the spray through the hair.How to make sea salt spray| Blah Blah Magazine

Good to go. Just make sure you give your hair a bit of extra conditioning or oil treatment love after using salt sprays.

Christina has a fantastic tutorial on styling with sea salt hair spray that goes into a lot more detail.

Enjoy!

Bele x

Are you a grown up? How do you know when you’re a grown up?

How to make sea salt spray | Blah Blah Magazine

*Just as an aside, I’m not keen on the idea of replacing sunscreen for the face and body with green tea and zinc. Yes, there is evidence that they aid with sun protection, but if I’m weighing up the risk of skin cancer versus the potential concerns with endocrine disruptors found in sun cream, then cancer is the bigger grim reaper for me. I do try and sneak in zinc and green tea whenever I can, but this is in addition to using an SPF rated sunscreen.

**All aloe vera gels that you can buy will have a preservative in it, so it’s important to buy it from a trustworthy company. If you’re using fresh aloe vera in this sea salt hair spray, then I would keep it in the fridge.

Linking with Ann for Things I Know, with some Grace for FYBF, rewinding with Bron, Sonia, Kelly and Sonia for Weekend Rewind

Like the post? Click a button to share the love...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

About the Author

Blah Blah Magazine

Cybele Masterman (Bele) trained as a beauty therapist, aromatherapist and journalist. After working as all of the above has found herself on a quest for a beautiful and meaningful life that doesn't cost the earth. Follow on google: +blahblahmagazine twitter: @blahblahzine or Instagram: BlahBlahMagazine

18 Comments on "How to have beach hair everyday, a salt hair spray tutorial"

1. Kacey 11/07/2014 at 3:14 pm · Reply

I used to use a store-bought sea salt spray all the time but once I started replacing everything with homemade / all natural products, I couldn’t find a recipe that satisfied. I’ll definitely be trying this out.

Unrelated question: where can I find the lovely containers you use? Recycled glass jars do the trick but just aren’t as pretty.

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 11/07/2014 at 3:41 pm · Reply

I’d love to know what it was you didn’t like about the recipes you’ve tried in the past and what you look for in a salt spray. Did you want a stronger hold? Different feel?

There are lots of ways to tweak these recipes to suit, which I think is the great thing about homemade stuff. This is not particularly potent mix, because I don’t like anything too heavy in my hair, but everyone is different. If this one isn’t quite right, I suspect we might able to play around to make it work for you.
      Thank you! I’m so glad you like the bottles and I agree it’s important to have beautiful containers, as it makes the whole thing a lot more enjoyable.
      I source them from all over the place – thrift shops, markets, discount stores, Internet. These particular bottles I was surprised to find in a discount store. I hope this helps. Bele x

2. Maxabella 11/07/2014 at 4:46 pm · Reply

I reckon I would probably bounce clean out of this world if I tried that spray on my hair… x
    Maxabella recently posted…27/52My Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 11/07/2014 at 6:55 pm · Reply

Lovely lady,
      With beautiful curls and waves like yours, I’m no expert, you may be right. Only a visit to the hair oracle, Hair Romance, would determine the scale of the bounce factor for you and salt sprays x

3. Sarah from Creating Contentment 13/07/2014 at 12:38 pm · Reply

Pinned! I am inspired and will make this today as I have all the ingredients at home.
    Sarah from Creating Contentment recently posted…Weekend ReadingMy Profile

4. Becky from BeckyandJames 13/07/2014 at 9:06 pm · Reply

Your photographs are absolutely STUNNING. I love the little elements you add to give each photo a specific feeling. My hair is quite thick so I’m unsure if something like this would really be beneficial to me but I do love the idea of making my own shampoo and so on.
    Becky from BeckyandJames recently posted…Being a Girl | Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 13/07/2014 at 9:46 pm · Reply

Thank you. I’ve discovered that I really enjoy taking photos. I have a long way to go, but your encouragement means a lot.
      Making stuff is fun and it’s nice knowing it’s possible and often easy x

5. Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me 14/07/2014 at 2:10 pm · Reply

You are so pretty!! And so is your blog, as for shampoo a necessary evil for someone that has hair such as mine! Will I ever make it – NOPE, but I LOVE that photo of all the stuff in the shells! Have a great week lovely x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…Six signs you’re a Harry Hoarder! – Laugh LinkupMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 15/07/2014 at 3:36 pm · Reply

Lady, you’re gorgeous and I’ll let you into a secret – one of my favourite hobbies is to flick through food recipes that I’ll probably never cook, but I like looking at the pretty pictures x

6. Grace 14/07/2014 at 8:36 pm · Reply

I love that tousled beach hair look! And making your own sea salt hair spray seems not only better for your hair but also cheaper! Have you seen how much some of those products cost??
    Love your spray bottle too! So very…you!
    Grace recently posted…FYBF – The Soundtrack of Life EditionMy Profile

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 15/07/2014 at 3:37 pm · Reply

I confess, I was a bit stunned by the price and even more stunned when I looked at the ingredients x

7. PlanningQueen 17/07/2014 at 9:47 pm · Reply

I love sea salt spray – will have to try this recipe as I have never even thought of making it myself before!
    PlanningQueen recently posted…Changing my plate – to increase stamina + more follow upMy Profile

8. Sonia Life Love Hiccups 18/07/2014 at 5:04 pm · Reply

You seriously know how to come up with the goods. I spend a fortune on that Tigi beach hair spray so I am so going to make this. Thanks lovely! And grown up? bahaha I’m still in my 20’s ….arent I?? xx

• Blah Blah Magazine
      Blah Blah Magazine 21/07/2014 at 10:47 am · Reply

Tigi is quite a firm hold, from memory. You might want to try the recipe with sea salt as it has a firmer hold. I’m so glad some one else is confused about time passing x

Trackbacks for this post

1. The Style Loop | Hair Romance
  2. How to make dry shampoo | Blah Blah Magazine - a lifestyle | Blah Blah Magazine – a lifestyle