The slow cooking odyssey just keeps on trucken with this little ditty that reached up to 21 in May of 1970 …. no hang on, that’s a line from the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack, but what a great soundtrack to cook to. You know, you just put on the tracks and get down to the business while getting your groove on with a glass of wine and half an hour to kill.
Today’s little bit of slow cooked heaven is a lamb dish that needs about 6 hours of love in the oven. So how do we go about this one? Start with a lamb shoulder or butterflied leg of lamb.
- 2 kg lamb (4.5lbs)
- 2 medium brown onions (diced)
- 6 eschallots
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large bouquet garni (bay leaves, tarragon, oregano,thyme, greek basil)
- 3 handfuls of black kalamata olives
- 3 tins crushed/diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 50grm butter
- salt, pepper and flour
- 1 bottle red wine
- 750ml longneck beer (preferably an ale rather than lager or a bitter lager)
- Salt and pepper to taste